If you have agreed on all the divorce and divorce-related terms (involving custody of children, division of assets and maintenance) with your spouse, an online divorce in Singapore may be suitable for you.
Online divorce in Singapore can be convenient, cost-effective and discreet.
Requirements to Apply for an Online Divorce in Singapore
You will need the meet all the legal requirements of getting a divorce in Singapore:
1. At least 1 spouse has to be a Singapore citizen/ living in Singapore for at least 3 years immediately before the commencement of the divorce.
2. Parties have to be married for at least 3 years.
a. One party has committed adultery and the other party finds it intolerable to continue living with this party.
b. One party has been unreasonable in his/ her behaviour and the other party finds it intolerable to continue living with this party.
c. One party has deserted the other party for a minimum period of 2 years.
d. Parties have been separated for a minimum period of 3 years and both parties consent to the divorce.
e. Parties have been separated for a minimum period of 4 years.
Considerations before Applying for an Online Divorce in Singapore
Online Divorce in Singapore is suitable for couples who have a full agreement on the divorce and the ancillary terms. In cases as such, the procedure is relatively straightforward and no counselling/ mediation is required.
However, if you have yet to reach a full agreement on the divorce and ancillary terms with your spouse, the procedure will be more complex and an online divorce in Singapore will not be suitable for you. The ancillary terms to be agreed include child custody, division of matrimonial assets and maintenance. You may need to attend mediation personally with your spouse to resolve these issues. Each of you will likely appoint your own divorce lawyer. A Judge-mediator and counsellor will be involved in the mediation to assist parties to resolve matters amicably.
How does an Online Divorce in Singapore work?
The steps are as follows:
1. You will need to send (by way of email/ whatsapp) soft copies of your marriage certificate and children’s birth certificates to your divorce lawyers. You will need to provide basic personal information of both parties (such as date of birth, occupation, religion, educational level, citizenship and place of birth) to your divorce lawyer. You will also need to provide your divorce lawyer with the details of the terms of settlement.
2. Your divorce lawyer will prepare the draft divorce papers and send them to you by way of email or whatsapp.
3. Should the draft documents be acceptable to both parties, both parties will need to attend before a Commissioner of Oaths to sign the papers. Your divorce lawyer will make the arrangement for this.
4. Your divorce lawyer will then submit the signed divorce documents to the Family Justice Courts.
5. Your divorce lawyer will extract the divorce judgments for you within 4 months after Step 3.
The total cost of an online divorce in Singapore is likely to be low and should not exceed S$1,000.00 nett.
For more information on online divorce in Singapore, contact us today at +6598330314 (whatsapp).
Our price list can be found here.
Related articles can be found here.