It may be difficult to choose a good divorce lawyer in Singapore, given the many options you have. Some will ask for recommendations from their families and friends while others will go online to search for a good divorce lawyer in Singapore.
In your search for a good divorce lawyer in Singapore, the following steps may be helpful.
Step 1: Understand What Divorce is All About
Before you commence your search for a good divorce lawyer in Singapore, ask yourself the following questions:
1. Do you qualify to file for divorce in Singapore?
2. What are the differences between an uncontested divorce and a contested divorce?
3. What are the valid reasons for divorce in Singapore and which reason can you use to file for divorce in Singapore?
4. What are your parenting plans post-divorce?
After reading up, you should make notes if they are relevant to your case. You will get some understanding after reading up. It is normal to still have doubts after reading up, as that is the very reason why you need a good divorce lawyer in Singapore.
The point of reading up is to get a sense of how complicated your case will be. This lays a good foundation in your search for a good divorce lawyer in Singapore as you would know the kind of legal services you need and help you ask more pertinent questions when you approach divorce lawyers.
Step 2: Finding a Good Divorce Lawyer in Singapore
There are many different categories of divorce lawyers in Singapore.
1. The solo divorce lawyer is one who runs his own firm. Usually, he/ she is a general practitioner who does not have any other lawyer working with him/ her. The solo divorce lawyer is likely to handle your matter personally, since there is no other lawyer in the firm. He/ she may have 1 or more support staff who will assist in the matter. The benefits of having a solo divorce lawyer working for you is affordability and personal attention given to your case.
2. The divorce lawyer in a specialized divorce law firm has a team of lawyers and support staff working for him/ her. He/ she may be focused on marketing and bringing in the cases, while leaving the junior lawyers to run the cases. The disadvantage may be increased costs and less personal attention given to your case by the senior lawyer.
3. The high net worth divorce lawyer is one who does not work on as many cases as the solo divorce lawyer or the divorce lawyer in a specialized divorce law firm. Their charges are likely to be high and they may be selective in the divorce cases they take on.
Having known the different categories of divorce lawyers in Singapore, you have to ask yourself what you are looking for in a good divorce lawyer in Singapore.
How do you go about searching for a good divorce lawyer in Singapore?
Many go through the word-of-mouth. It is comforting to know that your friend/ family member had a good experience with a particular divorce lawyer. You may also wish to shortlist a few good divorce lawyers in Singapore using other methods (such as online advertisement).
For the shortlist of divorce lawyers, you may ask them:
1. Their proposed action plan– an experienced divorce lawyer will be able to offer advice from his/ her wealth of experience. He/ she should also be able to advise you on what you should be asking from your spouse. He/ she should understand your needs and priorities, so that he/ she can focus on achieving them.
2. The costs of the service you need. Your lawyer should be able to give you a clear and transparent quotation. As much as possible, you should request for a “nett costs” so that you are not given a surprise when the bill reaches you at a later stage. You should also ask about the services that you will receive based on the quotation.
3. You should also know the divorce lawyer whom you will be working with directly. Law (especially divorce) is a personal service. You should be comfortable with your divorce lawyer.
If you are looking for a good divorce lawyer in Singapore to represent you, contact us at +6598330314 (whatsapp).
Our price list can be found here.
Related articles can be found here.